Thursday, June 24

artful thursdays #22....cupcake envelope book tutorial


i might have to call this my artful week...
first i spent the most lovely time at the art nest, then went to my art group last night and now today i am making a sweet little cupcake envelope book to tuck in my purse for my artful thursday.

this is such a fun and easy project. you can make up a whole stack of these little books in an hour. i like that there is a little pocket in the front and back of the book to tuck in a surprise or two.

you will need: 1 envelope, a little stack of paper, a big needle, some string, and a little image for your cover. so the crazy numbers came from a box of subtraction cards i found this week, just felt like cutting them up for the cool numbers....



step 1. fold your envelope in half. cut the flap up the center fold.



step 2. fold the envelope in half with the flap opened. with a pencil mark the cutting lines for shaping your envelope flaps. trim with scissors.


step 3. cut a stack of papers 1/8 inch smaller all around than your envelope. i like to use ledger paper, graph paper, or cute recycled notebook paper. use a corner rounder to round off the corners if you like.


step 4. use a pencil to mark three holes for stitching your book together. thread a piece of string or waxed linen through a large needle. sew your pages in using the pamphlet stitch. here is how to do it.

poke your needle down through the center hole.


poke your needle up through the bottom hole.


poke your needle down through the top hole.



poke your needle up through the center hole again.


now tie the two string ends in a square knot and clip threads.





step 5. decorate the front of your book with a square of cute paper and a cupcake image. i love the cupcakes in this nook and pantry paper pad from basic grey. use an image from a scrapbook paper, piece of wallpaper, wrapping paper, or from a worn out vintage book.


wrap your book up with a bit of ribbon and a tiny pencil for the quickest ever little handmade gift. enjoy, julie

16 comments:

Jill said...

That is cute and clever. I have been looking for a little book to try and I think this is it! Thank you!

Jessica said...

You make the cutest stuff!!!!

Honey Lamb and I said...

That is a great idea and I think that I have that cupcake paper! Thanks for sharing! ~Shelley O.

Home and Heart said...

Super clever!! Thank you!

eye_on_sparrow said...

That is so cute I am going to try it right away and recycle some paper that is only printed on one side. Cute and simple what could be better.

Brooke Ann Dove said...

This is so great...I can't wait to make my own!

Threads of Inspiration said...

This is so cute! I love the two pockets! Is it o.k. if I do a post on this with a link to your blog?

Patti said...

I could use an artful week! Cheers to you for making it so! Love this little book-just darling like everything you come up with. And who'd have thought to cut up those flashcards for the graphic punch of the numbers. Not me! But now I will! :)

Kateyed said...

that is too fun!!!
Suz

Little Pink Studio said...

Julie, I adore this tiny book and I have the perfect vintage envelopes to give it a try with. (pink polka dotted of course) :)
Thanks for this and all of your other wonderful tutorials you share.
I hope you're having a wonderful summer!
Cerri

Kathryn Dyche said...

Neat project, thanks for sharing. :0)

Connie said...

Love this little book, it's so sweet! Thanks for sharing! Happy 4th of July!

Aisyah Helga said...

I love all you tutorials and this is really easy and cute! I've featured and linked you on my blog today, please come over and visit! Thanks!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

That is so cute! I really love how you used the baker's twine. Thanks so much for this, I'll be linking.

Tyggereye said...

Cute little journal! Love the tut and use of the BG cupcake!! Adorable.

Zoompad said...

I really like your idea, I make little books as well but your envelope idea is really great. I recycle envelopes by using them to make the pages of little books, and I just paste a pretty picture over the written on bits

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...